According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Americans lost $5.8 billion to phishing and other fraud in 2021. Don’t let yourself be a part of this statistic in 2022 and beyond. October may be National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, but we take your security seriously all year long. In this blog, we describe the team effort behind cyber security, including both our role and yours.
What We Do
We have solutions for both individuals and businesses to help deter scams and fraud. For example, our online banking and bill pay allows you to automatically pay your bills online directly from your account, so you know your payments are legit. For our commercial customers, we offer Debit MasterCard® SecureCode™ to protect your card against unauthorized use when you shop online at participating merchants.
Our team is constantly updating our security efforts to counteract the latest scams. For example, we:
- Review our online banking controls and adjust them at least once a year, if necessary.
- Frequently review the current fraud trends to determine if changes are required to current security controls. We then alert you to these changes.
- Monitor ACH, wire transfer, ATM and bill pay transactions for suspicious activity on your account.
- Block all foreign ATM transactions from countries specifically noted through fraud trend analysis.
What You Can Do
Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. That’s where you come in.
Here are steps you can take to protect yourself from fraud:
- Think before you click. We will never text or email you with an urgent payment request. If something feels suspicious, give us a call before taking any action.
- Improve your defenses. Make sure you change your passwords often (at least quarterly) and only give out your personal information to trusted sources.
- If you see something, say something. Report scams to the FTC and file a police report if you were personally impacted.
To assist your efforts, we provide an array of resources on our website including:
- Tips to avoid and deal with identity theft.
- Business banking security safeguarding measures.
- Educational videos from the FTC detailing the latest scams.
Working Together to Keep You Safe
Don’t become a victim. Let us work together to protect your money. Contact us to hear more about our security measures or to open an account today.